Risk governance is the architecture within which risk management operates in an organisation. It will reflect, and seek to sustain and evolve, the organisation’s risk culture. Since risk management is fundamental to running any business, risk governance is a fundamental part of corporate governance. The British Standard BS13500 defines governance as: ‘system by which the whole organization is directed, controlled and held accountable to achieve its core purpose over the long term’. The UK Corporate Governance Code states that ‘good governance should facilitate efficient, effective and entrepreneurial management that can deliver the long-term success of the company’. Good risk governance should result in risk being accepted and managed within known and agreed risk appetites.
As shown in the IOR website diagram on Sound Practice Guidance, governance sits at the top providing the basis for direction, control and accountability. However all the subjects covered within the SPGs should be considered when setting up or working within an operational risk management environment.
Risk governance should put in place a structure of risk responsibility throughout the organisation. As a result, everybody in the organisation will be aware of their own risk responsibilities and accountabilities and those of others with whom they work. Governance delivers effective accountability, including the accountability of the governing body to its owners.
Risk governance is an integral part of the day to day running of the business and is not about just complying with a set of rules. Since operational risk management involves everybody in the organisation, the risk governance framework should encompass everybody. That means that it can only operate successfully if there are clear and effective lines of communication both up and down the organisation and a culture in which good and bad news is allowed to travel freely.
This update in 2015 to the Operational Risk Governance Sound Practice Guidance paper originally developed in 2010, builds on the original paper, providing updates to the work, including reference and support to the published British Standard on Governance BS 13500. Governance is a word often used or misused in relation to the overall Leadership of an organization and this SPG looks to help Operational Risk Professionals to deliver effective Risk Governance in their organization.
Zaq Mughal, , IOR News, Scottish Chapter, 0
Details of the June 29th event ‘Scottish Chapter Breakfast Event – EDINBURGH‘ now available here.
Zaq Mughal, , England and Wales Chapter, IOR News, 0
The slides from Mike Finlay’s 19th January 2015 Risk Categorisation Masterclass presentation in London are now available for download.
Sue Bruce, , IOR News, 0
The 2018 PSD Operational Risk Salary Report, in partnership with the Institute of Operational Risk Management, reveals salaries, benefits...
Lee Evans, , IOR News, 0
The Scottish Chapter of the IOR held it’s 1st Annual Conference on Friday 28th October 2011 at Glasgow Caledonian...
Details of the ‘2nd Annual Culture and Conduct Forum for the Financial Services Industry’ London event, are now availableZaq Mughal, , England and Wales Chapter, IOR News, 0
Full details of the July 12th event ‘2nd Annual Culture and Conduct Forum for the Financial Services Industry’ in...
Lee Evans, , IOR News, 0
Members may now download slides from the event April 2017 – HSBC IOR Risk Culture Breakfast Briefing:- Download the...
- Visions At the Gates of Pandemonium: Covid-19, Market Woes, FDR, Eloi, and Crumbling World Order March 27, 2020Are you still worrying whether or not we’re headed for a recession? Don’t. We’re there, and the long...
- Health check: what the current COVID-19 pandemic means for the global FinTech industry March 27, 2020The current pandemic sweeping through most of the world has wreaked havoc in most areas of the econo...
- TreasuryXpress offers Covid-disrupted clients free kit March 27, 2020TreasuryXpress, the pioneer and global leader in on-demand treasury management software today announ...
- Competition watchdog to turn a blind eye to business co-operation during virus outbreak March 27, 2020The focus of the CMA in the next few months will be to protect UK consumers from the adverse consequ...
- Bulgarian payment firms score funding March 27, 2020Bulgarian payment startups Paynetics and phyre have both closed funding rounds led by VC New Vision...