Risk governance is the architecture within which risk management operates in an organisation. It will reflect, and seek to sustain and evolve, the organisation’s risk culture. Since risk management is fundamental to running any business, risk governance is a fundamental part of corporate governance. The British Standard BS13500 defines governance as: ‘system by which the whole organization is directed, controlled and held accountable to achieve its core purpose over the long term’. The UK Corporate Governance Code states that ‘good governance should facilitate efficient, effective and entrepreneurial management that can deliver the long-term success of the company’. Good risk governance should result in risk being accepted and managed within known and agreed risk appetites.
As shown in the IOR website diagram on Sound Practice Guidance, governance sits at the top providing the basis for direction, control and accountability. However all the subjects covered within the SPGs should be considered when setting up or working within an operational risk management environment.
Risk governance should put in place a structure of risk responsibility throughout the organisation. As a result, everybody in the organisation will be aware of their own risk responsibilities and accountabilities and those of others with whom they work. Governance delivers effective accountability, including the accountability of the governing body to its owners.
Risk governance is an integral part of the day to day running of the business and is not about just complying with a set of rules. Since operational risk management involves everybody in the organisation, the risk governance framework should encompass everybody. That means that it can only operate successfully if there are clear and effective lines of communication both up and down the organisation and a culture in which good and bad news is allowed to travel freely.
This update in 2015 to the Operational Risk Governance Sound Practice Guidance paper originally developed in 2010, builds on the original paper, providing updates to the work, including reference and support to the published British Standard on Governance BS 13500. Governance is a word often used or misused in relation to the overall Leadership of an organization and this SPG looks to help Operational Risk Professionals to deliver effective Risk Governance in their organization.
Details of the ‘2nd Annual Culture and Conduct Forum for the Financial Services Industry’ London event, are now availableZaq Mughal, , England and Wales Chapter, IOR News, 0
Full details of the July 12th event ‘2nd Annual Culture and Conduct Forum for the Financial Services Industry’ in...
- Zaq Mughal, , IOR News, Scottish Chapter, 0
Details of the June 29th event ‘Scottish Chapter Breakfast Event – EDINBURGH‘ now available here.
- Sue Bruce, , IOR News, 0
The 2018 PSD Operational Risk Salary Report, in partnership with the Institute of Operational Risk Management, reveals salaries, benefits...
- Zaq Mughal, , IOR News, 0
IOR members are encouraged to enter the Risk Management Awards 2016 NOMINATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 27TH JULY 2016! ...
- Barry Disley, , IOR News, 0
Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Service (ELCAS) funding for the Institute of Operational Risk (IOR) Certificate in Operational Risk Management...
- Nomura creates digital asset company May 17, 2022Nomura is creating an independent digital asset company that will offer institutional clients a comprehensive suite of crypto trading, investor products and investment services.
- Zilch sets its sights on 125 million new customers as it launches in the US May 17, 2022UK BNPL unicorn Zilch is preparing to open its services to 150,000 pre-registered customers in the US.
- Irish central bank lays down new rules for BNPL providers May 17, 2022The Central Bank of Ireland is applying new consumer protection legislation to ensure that hire purchase, consumer hire, and buy now, pay later providers and services adhere to new rules under the direct authorisation of the Central Bank.
- GoCardless wins first VRP customer May 17, 2022GoCardless has snagged its first Variable Recurring Payment customer, Nude, the savings app for first-time buyers.
- Bitmex launches Spot Exchange May 17, 2022BitMEX, one of the world’s largest crypto trading platforms, has announced the launch of the BitMEX Spot Exchange for retail and institutional traders as the company looks to expand its product offering.